This is where we keep track of Luke’s blood counts, during and after the transplant. There are many blood chemistry results the doctors are monitoring, but the main 4 blood cells we are tracking are:
- White Blood Cells (WBC) – Total number of white blood cells. Normal Range 3.9-10.2
- Neutrophils – White Blood cells for fighting infection. Normal range 1.7-5.0. This will drop to zero and will need to be above 0.5 before Luke can go home.
- Hemoglobin – For carrying oxygen. If this gets too low, Luke will need a blood transfusion. Normal Range 118-146
- Platelets – For stopping bleeding. When this gets too low, Luke will need a platelet transfusion. Normal Range 180-440
- Alpha-Mannosidase – This is the enzyme that Luke is missing, and is tested less frequently. The level before the transplant is close to zero, but goes up to over 400 after the transplant. Normal Range 250-625